Advertise Now
  Home > Property Insurance Coverage > Home Owners Insurance > Church Mutual

Church Mutual

Church Mutual was founded on March 4, 1897, by two Lutheran pastors and eight laymen from two Merrill congregations. The company's first policy was written on June 3 of that year. For 109 years, Church Mutual has specialized in insurance for religious organizations. Their market also includes religious related schools, camps, denominational offices, and senior living facilities. Their customers now number more than 94,000 religious institutions of all denominations and about 10,000 homeowners and tenants Church Mutual markets most lines of commercial property and liability insurance, including multiple-peril, workers' compensation, and commercial auto insurance. They do not offer life or health insurance.

Church Mutual sold its policies almost exclusively by direct mail until 1954, at which time the first field sales person was hired. Today, no sales are made through the mail. Approximately 81 percent of their premium volume is generated by 170 full time regional representatives working out of 40 offices. The remaining 19 percent is generated by independent agents who specialize in church insurance and represent us in all or part of 13 states.
Church Mutual operates in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Church Mutual insures more religious institutions than any other company in the United States. Only seven individuals have served as president of Church Mutual Insurance Company and just three of them held the position on a full-time basis. Gerald Whitburn, the current president, took office January 1, 2000. Dieter H. Nickel served as president from 1971 through 1999. Walter W. Schuster was Church Mutual's president from 1951-1971.
Church Mutual is a mutual insurance company. This means that they are owned by their customers. They are not affiliated with any denomination or other organization. For 53 consecutive years, Church Mutual has received the A plus rating from A.M. To put this in perspective, only 7 percent of commercial lines property and casualty insurance companies have a rating this solid.

Church Mutual has been named to the Ward's 50 Benchmark Group for six consecutive years. The Ward's list recognizes the 50 companies that have excelled at balancing safety, consistency, and performance over a five year period. Church mutual's mission is to be the premier provider of property and casualty insurance services to the religious institutional marketplace. They recognize that their customers are the company, and everything they do will be done with that principle foremost in mind.

Everything you need to know about Home Insurance is here at

Permission is granted to reproduce this article as long as the above resource paragraph is left intact with active links.

Advertising Information for covermehomeinsurance
Back to Home Owners Insurance